Floods can prove disastrous in many ways. They destroy homes, ruin properties, take out vehicles and roadways, and cause significant damage as they tear through a community. As you consider the potential damage after a flood, don’t forget to examine your water. Water well testing in Monroe, NC is essential after a flooding event.
Why is this so important? Testing will reveal if your water source has been contaminated by the flood.
How Floods Contaminate
Flood waters frequently contain high levels of bacteria. As these waters invade wells, they contaminate your household source of water. Once flood waters recede, it’s important to have your well water tested by professionals. Keep in mind that your well may have been flooded even if the entire area wasn’t encompassed by the flood.
How to Test Your Water
At a minimum, you should have your water tested for bacteria and nitrate. This water well testing in Monroe, NC should reveal major sources of contamination. However, these tests don’t guarantee that the water is safe for consumption. A more thorough testing is recommended to look for other contaminants that won’t be detected by these basic tests. Consult with a local water well testing company to see what packages are available that would test for the most common contaminants in your area.
What to Do Next
If you discover that your well is contaminated, you should disinfect the entire system before using this water source. Shock chlorination is a good solution. Once this is complete, provide another sample for water well testing in Monroe, NC. Continue this pattern until the results come back negative. It’s not uncommon for a water supply to require more than one shock treatment to clear away the flood contamination.
How to Prevent Contamination
To prevent contamination, you can take steps to prevent flood waters from entering your well. Use the following methods:
- Disconnect the power supply to your well system.
- Replace the well vent with a water-tight plug.
- Extend the well casing above flood level.
- Use heavy-duty plastic to cover the top of the well. Secure this with waterproof tape. This seal will help prevent debris from entering your system and will make clean-up easier and faster after flood waters have receded.
- Disconnect the water system components and remove them from the flood area before waters can reach the system. If possible, install these components in areas that aren’t at risk.
- Use sandbags to protect your well from flood waters. Water-inflated flood barriers are also a good solution.
If you suspect that flood waters have contaminated your well, don’t take chances. Contact a professional for water well testing in Monroe, NC. The experts at Love Well & Pump Supply, LLC are ready to assist you. We specialize in well inspections, abandoned wells, waterline piping, installations of pumps and tanks, camera inspections, trench digging, and freshwater services. We offer free estimates and free water testing, so give us a call today! Reach our experienced team at 704-753-1712.
Categorised in: Well Water Testing
This post was written by Writer